Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Starting to Tweet


Ok - so for the longest time I've tried to avoid joining anything new. Didn't want to have to keep track of one more stream of information. Didn't want to have another login/password, etc. Anyway, a session at a conference last year helped me decide that I should at least try to make myself available for my students and others in as many ways as possible - so they can choose how they interact with me. I'm also working (supposedly) on an M.Sc. thesis that lives in the realm of social networking (technically it is research into the UI, not the networking itself).

So I joined FaceBook, started a blog, and joined Twitter. I was already on ICQ (haven't used it in a long time - does anyone anymore?) MSN Messenger, Google Chat and of course I have about five e-mail addresses I actually pay attention to.

I still wanted to minimize the number of things I have open, paying attention to. I went looking for a Twitter client that would do more than just Tweet. One place I checked out was Gizmo's TechSupportAlert I eventually decided to try Digsby. It tracks everything I listed above (well I didn't try ICQ) and even integrates your Tweets into FaceBook status. I gave it a couple of days, but have now turned it off. Instead I'm just staying my browser (FF). I keep various tabs open for e-mail, and have installed TwitterFox (liking it so far). Unfortunately I still have a separate client for MSN. I've tried a few (Digsby above and Trillian) but for now I'm sticking with the one MS makes.

No comments: