Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Finger Revision


A few people in the real world have commented on my new "big bandage" on my finger. I finally got an appointment with a surgeon to see my finger. Up to that point my family doctor had been telling me that we were just trying to let it heal while we waited for this appointment and that the surgeon would decide what needed to be done.

Well she decided that it needed to be "revised." Definitions: revision - changed edition, or new version. The revision was basically to fashion me an entirely new end for my finger. This involved removing what I figure is the rest of the fingertip bone (still just a small part of my finger) back to the first knuckle. Then the hollowed out finger (see the Dr Seuss drawing on this page) was folded and snipped and sewed to make a new end. I don't have any pictures yet but I will take some at the first dressing change (next Tuesday because of the holiday) and I think it will be obvious how much better the finger looks (the new pictures will be posted with the old - see the link in the original post). I will not have a fingernail. In fact, if any part of the nail should grow in I am supposed to go back for another revision. I haven't had a chance to compare yet, but I think it is now shorter than the index or ring fingers.

For me this basically means my finger is back to being freshly amputated - so it hurts just as much as the first time. Actually, for some reason it bothered me more this time than it did the first. The pain level has gone down quite a bit already though - perhaps due to the pain-killers - but since I have already started skipping pills I think just naturally.

No comments: