Thursday, July 16, 2009

Opposing points of view

A couple of geeks (one that actually codes) with very different points of view:

Chris Pirillo
"When you believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do."
Jeff Atwood
talent is far less important than enthusiasm (Jeff's blog post on the subject)

So which is correct?

I suspect some of both. I've certainly seen the enthusiasm approach succeed in all kinds of areas - many of which have nothing to do with computers (the RMC recruit obstacle course comes to mind). On the other hand, I've also seen enthusiasm run into roadblocks that only new skills can overcome. Notice I did not say improved skills? That's because I've seen enthusiasm produce improvements. I've seen tasks (now I'm thinking of in the classroom) tackled where the participants definitely did not have the level of skills needed when they started. Enthusiasm gives them the courage to jump in and improve the skills they have - to the point where they succeed. They do not lose these skills after and can continue to use them for new challenges as they arrive. They do need some base level though (I don't think Jeff was really advocating that no skill can be overcome

In fact I think that is part of teaching - engendering the enthusiasm so that the students can learn on their own ...

No comments: